10 REASONS WHY SCOTT FLETCHER SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN OFFERED A THREE-YEAR, $3.9 MILLION CONTRACT BY THE TEXAS RANGERS:
10) Answers to the nickname Scooter. Anyone called Scooter should get an allowance, not $1.3 million a year.
9) Has gone 600 at bats without hitting a home run, the fourth-longest string among every-day players in the American League.
8) Herschel Walker and Danny White have never earned as much a year in salary as Fletcher will be paid in 1989, and Texans actually care about football.
7) Doesn't smoke, drink or chew. Might pick up bad habits trying to spend $3.9 million.
6) Rangers will ruin their well-earned reputation as cheapskates.
5) No scoot in the Scooter. Has stolen 33 bases in last three years but also has been caught stealing 28 times.
4) Father is a high school football coach, and it is disrespectful to earn more money than your father.
3) Was ranked last of seven American League West shortstops a year ago by SPORTS ILLUSTRATED. Then again, SI also ranked Ruben Sierra ahead of Jose Canseco in rightfield.
2) Nice guy who signs autographs for free. Real stars like Canseco and Roger Clemens command fees as high as $10,000 to sign at card shows.